Wednesday, September 5, 2007

My Immunization Records

For the most part, our preparations for moving to Eugene and beginning school at the University of Oregon have gone smoothly. I have checked in to the department, registered for my classes, filled out my paper work, chosen my office and picked up my ID card. We also moved as much stuff as possible into our aparement a couple of weeks ago.

However, one thing has been very frustrating. The University of Oregon Health Center requires proof of immunization for me to start classes. I figured that wasn't a problem. While Melissa and I were in Provo at the beginning of August, I stopped by the U of U Parkway Health Clinic in Orem where my records are kept. I filled out and signed a consent to send my immunizations to the Ririe home in Washington where we're staying right now. This way I could get the records, fill out the forms the U of O sent me and then send them on to the health center together. The guy at the counter when I filled out my consent said that they would call me within a few days to tell me how much the printing will cost. I would send them a check, and then they would send me the records.

After a little over two weeks, Melissa reminded me about this, and we decided that it would be a good idea to call them and see what was going on with my records. I called them, and they said that they had no record that I visited Provo or signed a release. They said they would look for the release and then call me before a certain time that evening to tell me whether or not they found it.

Well, the next morning I called again, considering I heard nothing from them. This time, they said that they had no record I had even called the day before! So frustrating. Again, they said that they would look for it and call me back. I had more questions I wanted to ask, but the lady on the other side of the phone was quite skilled at ending a conversation as quickly as she could.

I called later that day and got the same lady as in the morning. I asked all the questions I wanted to, and then she asked for my address and said she would send the records over, provided she found the release form. She would call me of course to tell me the cost of the printing first.

Well, a week later, I still hadn't heard anything, so I called again. This time, I got someone competent on the phone. How nice. He said he was surprized I hadn't received my records yet because his computer showed that they had been processed and sent to the copy center on August 9th, just three days after I signed the release. That made sense to me, but why wasn't anyone else able to tell me this? Then he told me that the copy center is in West Valley City and that all the U of U health clinics use it. He gave me the number to call and the name of the secretary that would answer the phone. He promised me that according to the computer my records and consent form were over there. Why couldn't anyone else tell me this?

Anyways, I called the copy center. They said that they didn't do anything with the records because an exact date for which they were needed wasn't listed. Urgh. I just assumed that they would send them off when they could. She was very helpful however and suggested that she just email me the PDF, which she said was completely valid proof. I liked that idea, so I gave her my email address.

Well, I called back three days later after I hadn't received an email from them. It turns out that she did try to send the PDF twice, but both times it rejected my address. I think she wrote it down wrong, but oh, well. She told me that as a courtesy she just sent my immunizations to me at no cost. I should get them in the mail within the next few days. I just can't wait to get the records in my fingers. This has been a mess, but it is almost taken care of. After this, I'm pretty much all set for starting school! Yay!!!

No comments: