Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Free Furniture

So we now have three items of furniture in our apartment that we got for free in the last couple of months.

The first was a desk chair. I, (Tom), went down to throw some stuff away at the dumpster outside, and in front of the dumpster was a desk chair. I went back upstairs to ask Melissa if she wanted it, and she thought it would be good as long as I check it out to make sure it's not too junky. Well, I brought it all they way up to our apartment and cleaned it, and now we have a desk chair! So basically, we can keep all the kitchen chairs in the kitchen now, even when we are using the computer. Yay! The only problem is that if you raise it up, then whether or not you are sitting in it, it is all the way back down in about 10 minutes, but hey, it was free!

Next I found one of those hard plastic patio tables by the recycling bin. Well, I took it up and spent probably about 3 hours scrubbing and cleaning that thing. It was pretty dirty, but the hardest part was that I was on our deck outside and it was cold. What made things worse was that since I was using bleach water to clean it, I couldn't wear any of my coats since I didn't want to bleach them. Well, at least it's clean. Now we have a patio table!

The last thing is probably a bit more respectable. I was at an Elder's Quorum meeting this last Sunday, and when it was done, some of us went downstairs to see how the Serantis' re-furnishing was going on. Well, there were some items that they were planning on selling on Craig's List, and some that they just wanted to give away. Well, Melissa has always wanted a wicker chest at the base of the bed, but I thought that a big wooden one would be good enough. So with President Serantis's help, I put it in the back of the car and drove home with a brand new wooden chest. It barely fit, but it was pretty light. By the time I actually got it out of the car, I didn't have too much of a problem carrying it all the way up the stairs and into our living room. That's when I called Melissa out for her surprise. So now, we have a chest!

So those our our new, (yet slightly used) items of furniture!

No comments: